People give to charities for a variety of reasons.
1. Because they have compassion for the less fortunate.
2. From a belief that they owe something back to society.
3. To support a favored institution or cause.
4. For the recognition attained by making substantial charitable donations.
5. To benefit from the financial incentives our tax system provides for charitable
Regardless of your reasons for giving, a careful review of the various ways to
structure charitable gifts can help make your gifts more meaningful, both to you and
to the charities you choose to support.
According to the Giving USA Foundation, individual giving accounted for 73% of all contributions to charitable organizations in 2010. Source: Giving USA FoundationTM – Giving USA 2011
Income tax implications of charitable gifts are posted on my blog IncomeSafety.com